Nutritionist and Naturopath Buffy Ellen shares low-sugar alternatives to sweet treats with this delicious healthy lolly cake.
- 1 1/2 cup cashew nuts
- 1 cup coconut flour (or desiccated coconut)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 4 tbsp liquid sweetener (coconut nectar, brown rice syrup, agave)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch sea salt
- 1 tsp strawberry/beetroot powder (for colour)
- 1 tsp turmeric (for colour)
- 1/4 tsp spirulina (for colour)
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut (to finish)
1. Blend cashews and coconut flour in a food processor until it becomes a fine flour, then add in the remaining ingredients (except the colourings and finishing coconut) and blend until well combined and sticky.
2. Put 2-3 heaped tablespoons of the mixture into three small bowls (6 tablespoons in total), and add the beetroot powder, turmeric, and spirulina to their respective bowls and stir until combined.
3. Roll each coloured mix into three long rolls and place in the freezer for 10-15 minutes to set.
4. Remove the “lollies” from the freezer and slice into 3cm pieces. Pour the rest of the cake mix onto a pieceof reusable baking paper, and evenly place the coloured rolls throughout your cake mixture. Cover the coloured bits with the mixtures, roll into a thick log around 8cm in diameter, then sprinkle over desiccated coconut and roll again until evenly covered. Place in the freezer for at least 30 minutes or overnight to set.
5. Slice into 1cm slices and serve.