The kids will love these chocolate muffins, they won’t even realise that they contain some veggies, promise!
Makes 12 muffins
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pack of LeaderBrand Pure’n Ezy Baby Beets (grated)/ 250gms
- 1 egg
- 1 cup plain yoghurt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup ground nuts to garnish (Optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°C and grease 12 muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
- Combine flour, sugar, 3/4 cup chocolate chips (reserving 1/4 cup), cocoa powder and baking soda in a large bowl. In another bowl, whisk together the egg, plain yoghurt, milk, grated beetroot, vanilla extract and vegetable oil until smooth. Pour the wet ingredients into the chocolate mixture and stir until just combined.
- Fill the prepared muffin cups 3/4 full and sprinkle with the remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake in a preheated oven for about 20 minutes. To check whether the muffins are cooked, insert a toothpick into the centre and when the toothpick comes out clean, this means it is ready to be removed from the oven.
- Leave the muffins to cool in the muffin cups for 10 minutes before transferring the muffins out of the muffin cups and onto a wire rack.
- Optional: After removing from the oven, sprinkle the muffins with toasted ground nuts.