Just a short drive from Wellington over the spectacular Remutaka Hill, and super-close to Hawke's Bay and Palmerston North....
Masterton is a vibrant, family-friendly place and a terrific base to explore the spectacular Wairarapa coast, as well as the nearby National Wildlife Centre, Pūkaha. Heaps of accommodation options to fit all budgets and great places to eat combine to make Masterton an excellent destination for a family getaway.
Queen Elizabeth Park
Smack-bang in the middle of Masterton, this is one of the best family parks in the country. At its entrance is the Kids Own Playground, with a pirate ship, castle, and flying fox. In behind a miniature train hugs the water’s edge as it passes around the island track; feed the ducks or get in a pedal boat; play mini golf, try the BMX and skate park, or take a stroll over the swing bridge to the Deer Park.
Families love playing at Queen Elizabeth Park
Rec Centre Pools
Cool off at Trust House Recreation Centre
Arts Precinct & Wool Shed
For a shot of culture check out Aratoi, Wairarapa Museum of Art & History, and ConART, a walk-through working arts precinct and galleries. Drop into the Wool Shed, a 19th century working shed and a window into a fascinating slice of NZ's farming history.
Lots to see at the unique ConART arts precinct
Rewanui Forest Park
This 334-hectare forest park is one of the best examples of lowland forest in the Wellington region. There are three walking loop-tracks, ranging from 45 minutes to a two-hour round trip.
The Screening Room
Grab the kids a delicious bite to eat and something to drink before heading into one of the cozy movie theatres at the Screening Room Boutique Cinema & Eatery in Kuripuni Village in Masterton. thescreeningroom.co.nz
• Copthorne Solway Park Hotel & Resort (0800 SOLWAY) is popular with great facilities including an indoor pool, gymnasium and squash court.
• Mawley Holiday Park (06 378 6454), located across the river from the QE Park, is good value with cosy cabins.
• The Farriers
• Lone Star
• Entice Cafe
• Ten O’Clock Cookie
• Thrill: Riding the miniature train in Queen Elizabeth Park, yelling like crazy when passing through the tunnel. Great fun for just $1.
• Relax: Buddying up with one of the kids in a pedal boat.
• Run around: Have fun among the magnificent trees in beautiful Queen Elizabeth Park.
• Shop: Zoom down to Greytown for some seriously good retail therapy.
• Dinner: Filling up at The Farriers or The Lone Star.
• Family time: Fish and chips on the golden sand at Castlepoint.
• Wildlife: Feeding the massive eels at Pūkaha.
• Photo: The Castlepoint Lighthouse, stunning!
Ride the miniature train at Queen Elizabeth Park, Masterton
Find out more
For information go to Destination Wairarapa. Need local advice? Contact Masterton i- SITE Visitor Centre on (06) 370 0900.
Win! A family holiday to the Wairarapa
We have a family holiday (two adults, two children) in the beautiful Wairarapa to win. Staying at The Copthorne Solway Park in Masterton, you’ll have a weekend to explore this stunning region of NZ. To enter head to our Win page or click here.