Gingerbread is an absolute classic at Christmas time, and these gingerbread cookies are a perfect holiday activity.
2 cups flour
½ tsp baking soda
1 Tbsp ground ginger
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
150 g butter
1 egg, beaten
½ cup icing sugar
silver cachous (silver soft sugar pearls) to decorate (optional)
Method to make gingerbread cookies
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Sift flour, baking soda and ground ginger together and place in a bowl or food processor. Add Chelsea Soft Brown Sugar or Dark Cane Sugar.
- Add butter and rub in with fingertips or pulse in food processor until resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add egg and stir or pulse to mix. If the dough is too sticky, add a little more flour to the mix and wrap in cling wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes
- Roll out on lightly floured surface or between 2 sheets of baking paper until 5mm thick. Using cookie cutters, cut shapes and place on tray. Form leftover dough into a ball and re-roll and repeat cutting out until all the dough is used up.
- Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes or until cooked and golden. Remove from oven and cool on baking rack.
- Make icing by adding 1-2 tsp water to icing sugar until it reaches desired consistency. Transfer icing to a piping bag. Decorate with different designs such as dots, stripes and snowflake patterns. If wished pipe a small amount under each spot where you wish to place a silver cachous. Set aside until set.
more Christmas baking from tots to teens: